mangOH® Red – Orange™ LTE-M Starter Kit
Build low-power LTE-M IoT applications that can run for up to 10 years on a battery with the newest and smallest mangOH platform and Orange LTE-M network in Europe, and send your IoT sensor data to Orange Live Objects cloud.
- Credit card size form-factor ideal for rapidly building proof-of-concepts;
- A snap-in socket to add any CF3™-compatible modules, including wireless modules (4G & LTE-M/NB-IoT) to achieve up to 10 years of battery life;
- An IoT Expansion Card slot to plug in any technology based on the IoT Expansion Card open standard;
- Works with Orange SIM cards (LTE-M, 2G) for most European countries, and can also be used with any commercially available SIM (LTE-M, 2G);
- Integrates with the Orange Live Objects cloud platform;
- Built-in Wi-Fi b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.2 BLE with a Cortex M4 to provide real-time access to I/O; and
- Built-in Accelerometer/Gyroscope, Pressure and Light sensors and a 26-pin Raspberry Pi-compatible connector.
mangOH Red connects to any 2G, 3G or 4G LTE mobile networks in the world with the CF3 based wireless modules from Sierra Wireless.
SIM Card Slot
This slot allows you to utilize the Orange SIM card and its LTE-M network connectivity, as well as any other SIM cards.
IoT Expansion Card Connector
The IoT Expansion card connector lets you add any combination of wired, wireless and sensor technologies to your board.
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
With Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity built-in, you can develop wireless products without any expertise in connecting to mobile or PAN networks.
Built-in IMU and Sensors
mangOH Red is equipped with an inertial measurement unit (accelerometer and gyroscope) as well as built-in sensors for temperature, light and air pressure.
Cortex®-M4 with RTOS
The Cortex-M4 processor runs real-time operating system—process real-time applications’ data as it comes in with minimum delays.
The built-in audio jack allows mangOH Red to make two-way voice calls.
USB Connectivity to a Console
Start writing your software immediately with the open-source Legato Linux platform, fully integrated on mangOH Red. Simply connect the board to a console via USB connector.
mangOH Red offers a microSD slot for easy off-line updates and storage.
The board can operate on single cell Lithium polymer, DC power supply or USB. There is a battery charger for charging the battery as well.
3D-printable Case Designs
To make it easy to test your prototypes in the market, use a 3D printer to make your own custom 3D case.
Raspberry Pi Shield Connector
Thanks to the 26-pin Raspberry Pi-compatible connector, you can connect multiple HATs (Hardware Attached on Top) to your design.
Please complete SIM registration and activation at Orange and create a Live Objects account and generate an APIKEY, prior to returning to this page and continue with the rest of the getting started process.
STEP 1 – Fast Getting Started (no development skill required)
1.1 Windows driver for Sierra Wireless WP7702 modem
If you’re running a Windows PC, download and install the Windows Driver for WP77 module first.
1.2 Set up your mangOH Red:
- Insert the SIM card into its slot (if not done already)
- plug the ultra wide band antenna into the “main” u.fl connector (round),
- plug the GPS antenna into the “GNSS” u.fl connector (round),
- plug the USB connector into your PC and into the “cf3” micro-USB connector of the mangOH Red.
→ pictures with detailed instructions
1.3 mangOH Virtual Machine
If needed, download and install Virtualbox for your system (or any other compatible alternative).
Then, download and run mangOH Virtual Machine for Orange LTE-M Starter Kit and follow the instructions on the page. Please note that the download can take some time.
Notes: In your virtual machine,
- the default keyboard is English (qwerty). Several French keyboards are pre-configured and can be selected with the icon “en▼” in the top right corner of the screen. Additionnaly, many other keyboards are available in the settings.
- use “mangoh” as the password for your “mangoh” account
1.4 Set up your mangOH Red with the latest LiveObjects sample code application
In the Virtual Machine, open a terminal and enter the following command:
This command will download from Github the OrangeStarterKit sample code application, compile it, and install it on your mangOH Red/WP7702.
1.5 Log into LiveObjects
- Connect to your Live Objects account
- Data visualization: select “data” top menu:
- Send a command “hello” that will trigger a data “world” to be sent :
Save to send the command.
For this section of the tutorial, you can either use Linux commands in the terminal or launch the Developer Studio IDE. Start with either 2.1 or jump to 2.2 depending on the development environment you are willing to use.
2.1 Legato Hello World (Unix command line)
Create and deploy your first Legato Hello World application — note: this sample code is also provided in ~/legato_framework/legato/apps/sample/helloWorld.
→ for more information on main Legato concepts, please read: Legato concepts
2.2 Legato Hello World (Developer Studio)
Open the Developer Studio that you’ll find in the left quick access bar of your Virtual Machine.
From the top menu select: Help > Welcome page > Build hello world app
More usefull tutorials and documentation are accessible from this Welcome page.
2.3 OrangeStarterKit sample code
The execution of the “setup” command at step 1.4 has downloaded and installed the following code sample in the home directory:
- mqttClient-for-Legato : MQTT client services
- OrangeStarterKit : Orange LTE-M Starter Kit code sample
Note 1: You can update the MQTT Client service anytime with the following commands:
git pull origin master
update mqttClient.wp77xx.update 192.168.2.2
Note 2: You can update the OrangeStarterKit code sample anytime with the following commands:
git pull origin master
update OrangeStarterKit.wp77xx.update 192.168.2.2
The project can also be opened in the Developer Studio at /home/mangoh/OrangeStarterKit (follow the same instructions as for 2.2)
Now that’s your turn: go and modify the code, build and install your changes!